
Jenny, MacKenzie, Alena and I reunited for four glorious days of fun in Gainesville, FL. Jenny showed us around her home turf, including Bo Diddley Community Plaza.

Then we hit the bar for cocktails and corn nuggets (not sure
why these don't exist in the Midwest).

Before we hit the town, Jenny treated each of us to a sparkly temporary tat. MacKenzie loved her butterfly the most.

The next morning Philip joined the girls for a scrumptious breakfast. It was deluxe. Then we went tubing down the Ichetucknee River. I didn't get any photos of that, but hopefully one of the other girls will share hers. I imagine it looked something like
this.

After the lazy river, we headed back to G'ville for lunch.

+ Margaritas

I got GATOR tacos!

Then we found this sassy cat figurine at Jenny's house. She was wearing a realistic scarf.

Finally, we hit the pool for a late night dip.

This is Jenny's cute apartment complex. The houses in Gainesville (not pictured) are so pretty and huge!

We hit the beach at Anastasia State Park. It ruled.

Jenny expertly flew this little owl kite I got her. "I love it when Auntie Rachel comes to visit," she said.

Chill beach time. Jenny has all the best beach accessories: chairs, sunbrella, beach sheet.

Then we headed to our camp site (also at Anastasia State Park).

Alena immediately (and illegally) set up her new hammock, directly from South America. She is going through a hammock phase.

Meanwhile our nature leader Jenny set up the tents! (Don't worry, she's wearing a swimsuit. No pants required.)

We didn't have a hammer, but luckily Philip keeps an axe in the back of the 'bu for emergencies such as this.

tropical self portrait

Tents! We love nature!


That evening we went into town and saw this spooky graveyard. When we come back for Jenny's wedding, Tak and I are totally going on the Haunted Tour of St. Augustine!

Entering the city

This is the oldest wooden schoolhouse. St. Augustine has this whole old town with cute shops and reenactments! SO AWESOME. I can't wait to go back in April.

For dinner we had fried green tomatoes. SassyfaceJenny.

And we saw these little painted crabs in one of the gift shops. And when I say crab, I mean like Sam from
Sebastian's Caribbean Jamboree says it. (Why don't I have this on DVD???)

The girls woke me up at the crack of dawn (lit-trally) to catch the sunrise.

BFFs on the beach

The sunset setting on my camera made everything look all Lisa Frank. Amazing.


Adios beach. See you again soon.

This hat was one of the few purchases Alena made room for in her bag during her South American travels.

Alena had this shirt printed at one of the tourist shops. When the sales guy saw her bracelets, he said, "Oh, I see you're all Indianed up already." Indeed.

We were going to go to the Alligator Farm, but it was $22. So I just took a picture of their door.

Back in St. Augustine, we fed the parking meter. I mentioned that I like to donate my pennies to the city by putting them in the meter. Alena and Jenny both thought this was silly and wasteful, and while they told me so, MacKenzie began feeding her pennies into the machine because she likes "the idea of it." I thought this was super hilarious, so I thought I'd make note for my own future reference.

Then we toured Flagler College, which used to be the Hotel Ponce de Leon. It was pretty.

Mac D's fountain shot.

Jenny guarding the gate.

Mr. Flagler

We also toured the Castillo de San Marcos Spanish fort.

It was very hot. But luckily we had more Gatorade.

Jenny, our official tour guide, explained that the fort walls (which are made of tons of seashells) could take a hit without crumbling. She is so knowledgeable.

The Spanish defended Florida from the English
right here.

Alena was not supposed to sit on this historic artifact, but sometimes you do what you gotta do for a great shot.

Before Jenny dropped us off at the airport, we enjoyed a final meal together at Red Lobster. A rare treat for each of us.

If not for the cheesy biscuits, we probably would've sobbed through our farewell dinner because Jenny showed us such a great time in FL and there were so many giggles.
1 comment:
My mom and I did much of Florida in 1971, including St. Augustine. We saw the Fort, too, and ate wonderful seafood. I read about a historic old tree in the guide book and we decided to hunt for it only to find out the next morning that it was right outside our motel door!
I just got back from a week in Louisville KY. Home of the mint julip! Love you!
Post a Comment