Monday, January 19, 2009

MOh-MA


I've been volunteering at SF MOMA for the past month or so. I usually work at the family studio, which does super fun, hands-on activities for kids and their families. There is always a cool crew of workers and lots of enthusiastic youngsters. I continue to be amazed by the kiddies' ideas and creativity. It is pretty much the bomb.

This week and last, the Family Studio was a modern dance workshop. The first week a fellow volunteer and I ended up workin' it on the dance floor, trying to encourage adult participation in the interpretive dancing activity. At first (as you might imagine) it seemed sort of awkward, etc. but pretty soon we warmed up to it, and by the end of the day we were dancing machines. So, this week, we came all warmed up and in our dance gear (well, our mental dance gear anyway), but luckily there was a huge turnout for the workshop, so we were needed for non-dancing activities. But we did get to watch the kids (and parents!) rock it out on the dance floor. It was pretty great.

After the workshop, I did a quick tour of the museum -- looking for Michael Jackson and Bubbles (Jeff Koons), the sweetest sculpture of all time. Unfortunately, I discovered that it is not on view! Severe disappointment. But I did see some other cool stuff. Here are the highlights:












(Captions forthcoming.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're regular Isadora Duncan! Don't drive and wear scarves. I like the shoe the best.

Rachel said...

Oh, I wont. Affectations can be dangerous.

Anonymous said...

Moh Ma looks like a great place to enjoy being with children and planning activities with them.
Good on you for doing this!